These Chili Garlic Chicken Satay Skewers are packed with flavor and are so simple to prepare! Serve with a delicious almond butter dipping sauce and you’re in heaven! These make a delicious appetizer or light meal and are gluten-free, Whole30 compliant and Paleo friendly.
Chili Garlic Chicken Satay Skewers Recipe
To make this dish quickly marinate the chicken with a garlic and lime sauce, then threaded and cook on a hot grill. Serve with the creamy almond butter dipping sauce! Never heard of satay? It’s a popular Indonesian dish of seasoned, skewered meat serve with a dipping sauce. They are jam-packed with flavor and perfect year round because you can cook them on a grill or a grill pan.
- Chicken Breast
- Coconut Aminos
- Garlic Chili Paste
- Sesame Oil
- Creamy Almond Butter
- Fresh ginger
Why do you need to soak the skewers?
Soaking the skewers in water before you grill prevents them from burning up! If you’ve ever grilled skewers that haven’t been soaked, you’ll know what I mean. Soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. Alternatively, if you have metal skewers you could use those here too.
If you like this appetizer recipe, check out these others:
Chili Garlic Chicken Satay Skewers
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Chili Garlic Marinade
For Almond Butter Dipping Sauce
- Slice the chicken into strips. If using wooden skewers, soak for approximately 30 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Place chicken inside and marinate for 30 minutes, or up to 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Thread the chicken strips lengthwise onto skewers, working the stick through the middle of the chicken. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grease the grill grate and place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness, until no pink remains or the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Meanwhile make dipping sauce: whisk together dipping sauce ingredients. You may need to whisk in additional hot water to get the correct consistency.
- Serve chicken skewers hot with dipping sauce and lime slices.
This recipe was originally published in 2013, and updated with new photographs in 2019.
Loading nutrition data…