- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice
- Place chicken in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. In a bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, water and pepper; pour over chicken. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 165°. Press cancel. Remove chicken and keep warm. Select saute setting; adjust for low heat. Simmer cooking juices until thickened, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice and chicken.
- Freeze option: Place chicken and bean mixture in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
1 chicken breast half with 1 cup bean mixture: 288 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Red Pepper Chicken in Skinny Instant Pot