A fresh take on a classic lunch staple: tangy sun-dried tomato and capers with a light mayo based chicken salad!
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Salad
If it’s not broke, don’t fix it and chicken salad for meal prep is a recipe that sure isn’t broke. We’ve made it a few times here on LCK, but this time we’re making it with an Italian-esque makeover: a mayo based chicken salad with sun-dried tomatoes, capers, parsley and white wine vinegar. It’s salty, tangy and really delicious.
As with all chicken salad, it’s easiest to use either leftover chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken. If doing it this way, this meal prep takes about 5 minutes! If you’re using a rotisserie chicken you can either double up on this recipe since it only calls for 2 cups of chicken, or use the remainder of the chicken for a dish such as Buffalo Chicken Dip, Loaded Paleo Nachos, or Chicken Soup. If you want to make the chicken fresh, you can make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot or slow cooker!
Ingredients for this Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Salad:
- shredded chicken (make fresh or better yet use leftover or a rotisserie chicken)
- mayo (we love avocado oil mayo for healthy fats)
- sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- green onion
- white wine vinegar (or lemon juice)
- salt and pepper
Ways to Use Chicken Salad:
- Make it classic with a sandwich! Add baby spinach and avocado if you’re feeling fancy.
- Wrap it up! There are luckily now a lot of gluten-free wraps, or you could try using a gluten free tortilla, like Siete brands.
- Serve it over a bed of lettuce. Any lettuce would work here ranging from a classic romaine to a baby kale or spinach.
- Or wrap it up with lettuce! Check out our post all about making Lettuce Wraps.
- Put it in an avocado! This flavor combo will be pretty awesome.
- Serve it with crunchy crackers. There are lots of gluten-free brands, and also some seed based or cheese crackers for low carb.
- Stuff it in a scooped out cucumber. Scoop the seeds out of the cucumber and stuff in the chicken salad! We’d recommend a traditional cucumber here, which tend to be larger than the European or greenhouse cucumbers.
- Or just eat it! It’s that good.
How many days can you keep homemade chicken salad?
Homemade chicken salad stays good for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator!
Like this chicken salad recipe, check out these others:
Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/3 cup organic mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought), add more as needed
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomato packed in olive oil, drained and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 green onion
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Store in a container and use for up to 5 days.
Loading nutrition data…
Pin it for later: