Once summer rolls around, I can’t get enough of salads made with a mix of peak season fruits and veggies. I love a good sweet & savory combination, and this watermelon salad with feta, mint, avocado, and a tangy dressing is exactly that. Every year, as soon as I spot a good watermelon, I rush home to make this recipe. It takes minutes to throw together, and it’s incredibly refreshing. Try it once, and you’ll have it on repeat for the rest of watermelon season.
Watermelon Salad Recipe Ingredients
If you’ve never tried watermelon in a savory setting, you have to make this recipe ASAP. Juicy & fresh, the melon goes SO well with the other creamy, crisp, tangy, and spicy components in this salad. Here’s what makes it so delicious:
- Red onion, for a sharp bite of flavor and crispy texture
- Feta cheese, for a creamy, tangy element
- Avocado, for extra creaminess. Plus watermelon + lime + avocado = a match made in heaven.
- Mint & basil, for fresh herbal notes (Mint & watermelon is one of my favorite combos too!)
- Serrano pepper, for a little heat (if you like, these are optional)
- And a bright lime dressing, to tie it all together.
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Variations
This watermelon feta salad is a great one to play with. Here are some of my favorite ways to change it up:
- Don’t like spice? Skip the chile, and this watermelon salad will still be delicious.
- Add a little crunch with a handful of toasted walnuts or cashews.
- Make this salad a full meal by serving it on a bed of arugula with some quinoa mixed in.
- Or change up the fruit and substitute strawberries for the watermelon.
Let me know what variations you try!
What to Serve with Watermelon Salad
I love to make this salad for cookouts. It pairs well with whatever you’re grilling, whether that be portobello mushroom burgers or dogs, black bean burgers, veggie burgers, or corn on the cob.
It’s also good with picnic sandwiches like these chickpea shawarma wraps, these BBQ jackfruit sandwiches, this caprese sandwich, or this mushroom po’ boy.
If you have extra watermelon, make watermelon margaritas! If you don’t have extra watermelon, you can never go wrong with classic margaritas.
If you love this watermelon salad recipe…
Try more of my favorite fruity salads like this strawberry caprese salad, this watermelon tomato salad, this summer slaw, or this corn salad!
Watermelon Salad with Feta & Mint
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 heaping cup diced English cucumber
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ⅓ cup torn mint or basil leaves
- ½ jalapeño or serrano pepper, thinly sliced, optional
- Sea salt
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic and salt.
- Arrange the watermelon, cucumber, and red onions on a large plate or platter. Drizzle with half the dressing. Top with the feta, avocado, mint, and serrano pepper, if using, and drizzle with remaining dressing. Season to taste and serve.