Baked vanilla doughnuts come with an extra helping of holiday cheer (i.e., frosting) in the form of festive wreaths!
Ingredients Doughnut Batter :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp buttermilk
- green food coloring
Ingredients Frosting :
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- dash vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- red and green food coloring
- Holiday sprinkles
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, honey, egg and vanilla extract. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined – make sure not to overmix. Dye the batter green with the food coloring.
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag, then pipe the batter into a greased doughnut pan and bake at 400F for 7 minutes. Cool for 1 minute in the pan, then flip the pan over to remove the doughnuts and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer at room temperature until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3 minutes, until fluffy. Dye ¼ cup of the frosting red and the remaining frosting green.
- Place the red frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small, round piping tip. Place the green frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small, star-shaped piping tip.
- Pipe the green frosting onto the doughnuts to look like pine needles and create a bow with the red frosting. Decorate with holiday sprinkles and enjoy!