- 7 cups day-old French bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 ounces fresh chorizo, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 6 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Place 4 cups bread cubes in a single layer in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and spinach. Layer with chorizo and onion; top with remaining bread and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic salt and mustard. Pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
1 piece: 370 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 946mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar and Chorizo Strata in Simple & Delicious April/May 2019