No need to choose! Pumpkin & chocolate are a perfect match and this cake gives you the best of both worlds.
Ingredients CHOCOLATE CAKE :
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Ingredients PUMPKIN CAKE :
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 can (420g) plain pumpkin puree (not fresh puree)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cloves
Ingredients BUTTERCREAM :
- 4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice mix
- orange food colouring
- ½ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate
- Red, orange, yellow and brown candy melts, melted
- Bake the chocolate cake: Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating with each addition. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add this to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Add the chocolate chips and melted chocolate and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 9” round baking pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Bake the pumpkin cake: Combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and butter in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Add this to the pumpkin mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 9” round baking pan and bake at 350F for 70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make the buttercream: Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix well. Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Divide the buttercream in half, then divide one half into 2 bowls. Place the pumpkin spice mix and orange food colouring in one bowl and the melted chocolate into the other bowl, mixing well to combine. Set all 3 flavours of buttercream aside.
- Make the leaves: Pour all colours of candy melts into a leaf-shape mold. Place in the freezer until set, about 15 minutes. Unmold and set aside.
- Assembly: Slice the surface off of each cake to flatten the surface, then slice each cake into 2 layers. Then slice the cakes in half vertically and stack both sides on top of each other, creating 2 cake halves with 4 layers each. Spread some pumpkin spice buttercream between the pumpkin cake layers and the chocolate buttercream between the chocolate cake layers. Then cover the entire cake in the white buttercream. Place the remaining pumpkin and chocolate buttercream in piping bags fitted with large star-shaped piping tips. Pipe dollops on to the cake and decorate with chocolate leaves. Enjoy!