- 1 chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 48 4-inch lollipop sticks
- 1/4 cup white decorating icing
- Bake cake according to package directions; cool completely. In large bowl, break cake into fine crumbles. Add frosting and stir until fully incorporated, adding more frosting if needed, until mixture maintains its shape when squeezed together with palm of hand. Using a tablespoon-full of mixture, form into balls, then mold into shape of a football. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and shortening. Microwave 30 seconds and stir; repeat, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth, adding more shortening if needed. Do not over heat.
- Working one at a time, dip lollipop stick into chocolate mixture; insert halfway through cake pop, taking care not to break through the other side. Return to baking sheet until set; repeat with remaining cake pops. Coat each cake pop with the chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off, reheating and stirring chocolate mixture as needed. Return to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cake pops, ensuring they do not touch. Allow chocolate coating to set until firm to the touch. To decorate, use icing to draw laces onto cake pops.
1 cake pop: 132 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Football Cake Pops in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2019