Waffles can only reach their full potential when you add ice cream, chocolate and lots of sweet goodies.
Ingredients For the waffles :
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk, preferably organic
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients Cooking spray :
- 1 pint salted caramel or dulce de leche ice cream
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint mint chip ice cream
- 8 ounces dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces white chocolate bar, roughly chopped
- Sweetened, shredded coconut flakes, toasted
- Mini chocolate chips
- Various sprinkles
- Roasted and salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix together. In another small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix just until incorporated. Let sit for 5 minutes while the waffle iron heats up.
- Once the batter has rested and the iron is hot, spray with a little cooking spray. Using a 1/2 cup measure, pour the batter in and close. Cook until brown and crispy and the waffle iron light shows ready. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut into 4 triangles. If you have a square iron, cut into squares.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolates separately.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon out 1 large scoop onto 1 waffle triangle and top with another. Dip into chocolates and garnish with your favorite toppings.
Here are my combinations :
- Mint chip ice cream rolled in mini chocolate chips.
- Dulce de leche ice cream rolled in roasted coconut and drizzled with dark chocolate.
- Vanilla bean ice cream dipped in chocolate and covered in sprinkles.
- Chocolate ice cream rolled in chopped peanuts and drizzled with white and dark chocolate.