- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole pink peppercorns, crushed
- Dash salt
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sake
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, peppercorns and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and sake. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
1/2 cup: 257 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pink Peppercorn & Sake Ice Cream in Taste of Home Website