It is the season for outrageous desserts like this delicious candy-coated popcorn tree.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- green food coloring
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 quarts popped popcorn (16 cups)
- Holiday candies
- cheese star
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, fully dissolving the sugar.
- Add the food coloring, do not stir, and allow the mixture to boil for 5 minutes without stirring, until it reaches 250F. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and baking soda.
- Quickly pour the mixture onto the popcorn and gently stir to coat the popcorn.
- Place the popcorn on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and stir until it has cooled just enough to touch without burning your hands. Shape the popcorn into a Christmas tree shape.
- Stick holiday candies onto the tree as decorations and top with a cheese star and enjoy!