- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, coarsely chopped
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown chicken; remove and keep warm.
- Add cider, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in onion, barbecue sauce, honey, garlic and chicken. Press cancel. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 170°. Press cancel.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Add apples; simmer, stirring constantly, until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with chicken.
1 chicken thigh with 1/2 cup apple mixture: 340 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Autumn apple chicken in Skinny Instant Pot