- 3 cups water
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Place the first six ingredients in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 35 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally. Press cancel. Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones. Finely chop meat and return to pressure cooker; discard bones. Stir in tomato, green pepper and salt. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until pepper is tender, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
2/3 cup bean mixture with 2/3 cup rice: 216 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 12g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice in Skinny Instant Pot