This 7 Layer Taco Dip is just what any party, or fun Saturday night needs! 7 layers of Mexican inspired flavor that is so delicious! This dip is gluten-free and optionally dairy-free and paleo!
7 Layer Taco Dip Recipe
Is there any better food to bring to a pot luck or serve at your own party than a 7 Layer Taco Dip? Don’t think so! This classic dip is made healthier here with a few homemade substitutes for standard store-bought ingredients, and so so worth it! This version is gluten-free and we offer a few substitutions to make it paleo and dairy free if you need it.
Be warned: there is no way there will be any leftovers when this dish is served, so make sure you get in there early if you want to have some yourself!
How to make a 7 Layer Taco Dip
Make or gather all of the layers!
- Layer 1: Refried Beans (or extra guacamole for paleo/whole30)
- Layer 2: Cooked beef mixture
- Layer 3: Salsa
- Layer 4: Guacamole
- Layer 5: Cooked beef mixture
- Layer 6: Cheddar cheese (substitute another layer of salsa for paleo/whole30/dairy-free)
- Layer 7: Chopped Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion
Layer in all of the ingredients in an oven 8″x8″ (or similarly sized ) oven safe dish. After placing in cheddar cheese put in the oven to melt. Layer on the remaining and serve with hearty tortilla chips and veggies.
Can this be made ahead of time?
You can assemble and prep this entire dish 1 day ahead of time, with the exception of adding the fresh ingredients on top. You can prep those ahead of time though and have them all ready to go for your party. Right before serving place the assembled dip under the broiler to warm up and melt the cheese, and then top with fresh lettuce, tomato and onion.
What to serve with this dip?
Serve it with the classics: Tortilla chips (either corn or a grain free option like Siete) and veggies like celery, cucumber, peppers or carrots.
If you like this dip recipe, check out these others:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1-15 ounce red or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons lime juice, divided (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1-15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely diced, divided
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional, omit for paleo / Whole30 / dairy-free)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- Tortilla chips and sliced red peppers, for serving
Make Refried Beans:
- Heat medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot add 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon of paprika and let and spices and let cook until fragrant, about 30 minute.
- Add the beans to the saucepan and ¼ cup water. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and add 1 tablespoon lime juice. Mash to desired consistency using a potato masher or fork.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When hot add and beef.
- Cook beef until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon of paprika . Turn heat to medium-low and let cook for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened and then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado and add cilantro, 1/3 cup diced red onion, 1/3 cup diced tomato, 2 teaspoons lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
Assemble (and broil) dish:
- Preheat broiler to 525ºF. In an 8″x8″ or similar sized oven safe dish, place the refried beans. Smooth over.
- Add 1/2 the beef mixture. Smooth over.
- Add the salsa. Smooth over.
- Add guacamole. Smooth over.
- Add remaining beef. Smooth over.
- Add cheese. Place under broiler until brown and bubbly.
- Add remaining lettuce, red onion and tomato.
- Serve with tortilla chips and / or veggie sticks.
- For paleo / Whole30 : omit the cheese layer and make a double the guacamole and to replace the refried bean layer
- For dairy free: omit the cheese, add another layer of salsa if desired!
Loading nutrition data…