Layers upon layers of rainbow cake and whipped cream are the things of dessert-filled dreams.
- 3 Servings
Ingredients Cake :
- 215 grams flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 132 grams sugar
- 187 milliliters milk
- 65 milliliters oil
- 60 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cotton candy essence, or any type of essence you’d like
- 1 drop purple food gel
- 2 drops pink food gel
- 1 drop blue food gel
Ingredients Sprinkles :
- 3 maraschino cherries
Ingredients Cream :
- 1 1/2 cups thickened/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a large baking tray with oil spray and baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Use a hand mixer or hand whisk to mix on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, cotton candy essence and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds. Split batter into 4 bowls. Colour one bowl with pink, another with purple and pink, another with blue and leave the 4th as un coloured batter.
- Spoon one tablespoon of each coloured batter in random spots on your pre-prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Once cooled use a circle cutter which is a little smaller than the width of your jar. Cut out as many circles as you can.
- Add cream, condensed milk and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl and whip to stiff peaks using a hand mixer.
- Add a swirl of whipped cream on the bottom of each serving jar. Add a layer of cake followed by cream until you reach the top. Finish with cream, sprinkles and a maraschino cherry.